Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Post dept vs. Private Couriers

I have been going through a lot about the discussion and articles poping up on the newspaper about the above topic. Also the other day I was at the post office and whenever I drop by I know the reasons why private couriers thrive. When I was in college, I used to used the postal service pretty well as the person at the counter was friendly and the services used to be pretty good. So never felt bad about the system. But when you look into the other post offices, then there is one thing that keeps poping into anyones head, i.e. it is a government department and works literally at the snails pace and also services are poor.

The private couriers have come up to fill up that void which the Postal service created. The timely deliveries, providing guarantees, delivering when at home (as they call us earlier) and better office timings. Private couriers are also one of the best in expanding there network by spreading their collection centers around the city. So these points and some others reasons kicks the postal service off the top list.

If the private couriers can utilize and improve their services being private then how come the postal service which should be having more network due to the connection to any government department, cannot get things done faster and better. I still say that the postal service can outwit the private couriers without any blasting or destruction of the private couriers. The postal service needs some innovative thinking and then they will be able to capture the market. I still remember one case in which my friend was suppose to receive a 2 kg cake by parcel service run by the Indian Postal Department, but when he received it in 2 days time, he got only 1/2 kg cake. I am not sure whether the cake ran away on its own, or someone kept taking chunks out of it or the postal department was celebrating some party. Anyways that was the only thing needed to lift my friends impression off the postal service. Since then I have never seen him use the postal service for anything be it regular post, registered post, Speed post and definitely not the Parcel service. One can now imagine why postal department is loosing there valued customers. The others who use this service are the old veterans who still believe in the system. I just hope that postal department doesnot break their trust also.

If the Railway Ministry can pull out of losses that it had been making for past 10 years in just a year without even making fare prices increase, then I guess the postal department which is more than a century old like the railway can pull itself out of its current mess and crisis.

No comments:

AddthisM