Friday, February 10, 2006

Back-benchers to teaching

This is the beginning of another weekend and today words seem to be distant from me. So I plan to pick something from my past which might interest some. Since I can remember, the back bench of my class always was meant for me. I clearly carried out my tradition of being a back bencher in college and also currently in my institute. But in school, the teachers had come up with an idea which was the rotation technique. They purposely tried to keep 5-6 rows of benches so that the students don't go farther away from the staff standing at the front of the class. Also they kept making each row rotate to the next while the back benchers come to the forward row. This idea was very successful but since always students have tried out-smarting the teachers and have come up with awesome ideas. To escape this the back benchers started sitting on the last bench on that day of the week when class time-tables used to be heavy with no breaks. While the lighter days of the week with labs and extra curricular activities used to lead us to sit on the 1st or 2nd rows. That ofcourse solved some of the problems. In college, as long as you make no problems on the last bench by disturbing the staff, you will remain King of the back bench.

The only lose of being a back bencher is that you have to work on your grades better than anything as one tends to not listen in classes. Either be regular in studies and stay ahead of the staff teaching you or else pay attention sitting on the last bench which is amazing if you can attain that goal. In college, some staffs' teaching used to be captivating enough for people to listen to their lectures. This is where I can say a quote (origin of saying not known), "Top students or Geniuses don't make good teachers, love for teaching or imparting knowledge in an interesting manner can conquer all the students". This is a fact which can be seen even today. I have seen my friends who can make you understand a topic in 10-15 minutes while a staff has tried to get that same topic in your head in 1-2 hours class but in vain. Teaching is all about Passion.

Teaching is one of the most respectful careers as you help mould thousands of life but the problem comes with the idea that teachers are not paid very well. Therefore many never choose this as a career option. Worst is that even the ones who choose donot take it seriously. 3 people in this world can mould a child at a young age to anything from Good to Evil. They are the child's Mother, Father and Teacher. The responsibility is huge, but very less have been successful. I still remember the name of the staffs who have taught me from school as they are people who you cannot forget as they devoted their attention without any selfish reasons. I still pay my respects to all of them whenever I am at home. Noone realises thing in this world until its late.

No comments:

AddthisM