Saturday, December 02, 2006

Bad condition of some Highways

A few days ago I made a road trip from Bangalore to Mangalore. The route taken was National Highway 48 (NH-48). The amount of time taken to get out of Bangalore itself was amazing. Once on the two way highway, the ride was smooth when passing Hassan. But the moment we reached Shaklespur Ghat were the road goes downhill all the way for 40 kms was a horrible experience. The quality of the road was so bad that people needed to go a 20 kmph. Lots of potholes, forget potholes... I would say the roads would be missing from the middle as the whole Base layer of the road was destroyed. At every small distance you will find some truck or the other on the side of the road having problems with the tyres or axles. I guess if I had known earlier about the bad conditions of the road, I might have flown to Mangalore or atleast taken an alternate route. I am sure lots of transport companies have been suffering because of that section of the highway. The government should start spending some time fixing up the essential highways.

No comments:

AddthisM