Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Teacher's Day

It funny to know that today, 5th September is celebrated in India as Teacher's day. It's funny as many don't know the reason for that. This date corresponds to the Birthday of a famous teacher who also became the 2nd president of India, Dr. Radhakrishnan. It started off in 1962 when some of his students wanted to celebrate his birthday. He suggested that instead of celebrating only his birthday why not celebrate a day for all the teachers. Teachers have contributed a lot to a student's life and also the students want to remember and respect their teachers. What better than a particular day to spend time remembering some good times.

By chance yesterday I met a teacher at the airport who taught me Hindi in school from 1992 to 1995. She was really amazed that I recoginised her and more astonished for me remembering her. I cannot tell what others think about there teachers but I remember most of them who taught me throughout my life as they have spent time in improving me in making me a better person. I do hold them in high respect for the contributions they made including the times they complained my parents about my bad performance in school or regarding my talkative nature which got me into trouble a lot of times. I still drop by my school whenever i am in the neighbourhood to pay my respects to the teachers who had taught me.

No comments:

AddthisM